This classic Japanese dish is a staple at all the top sushi restaurants. At my local, the chef has a tiny deep fryer next to his station that he uses to make this incredible dish to order. The key is serving the tempura immediately, do not let it set around.
- Basic tempura batter (see above)
- 2oz plain flour
- 3lb king prawns
- Soy sauce
- Shell the prawns and de-vein them. Better still, get your fish monger to do it for you!
- Roll the prawns in the flour to cover them.
- Heat your deep fryer to 375 degrees.
- Dip each prawn in the tempura batter.
- Deep fry the prawns in batches (depending on your fryer) for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the prawns to a piece of kitchen paper to drain.
- Serve immediately with soya sauce for dipping.